At a packed hall in San Francisco, Apple announced the much awaited iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, kickstarting the iPhone frenzy yet again. Preorders start on 9th September and shipping on 16th September. There is good news for Indian fans as well. The phones will launch on 7th October and cost Rs. 60,000 onwards. Should you buy the the phone? See what’s new to decide.
- Design: The iPhone 7 looks familiar and maintains the iPhone 6S design language. Made of aluminium, the antenna bands at the back have been sifted to the top giving a seamless metal back without any disturbances. The home button is done away with and is now taptic in nature, where it gives a user a feeling of pressing a button without actually doing so. The phones are now water resistant and can withstand rains or accidental liquid accidents. The phones are available in 5 colors – Silver, Gold, Rose Gold, Black (Matte) and Jet Black (Glossy)
- Camera: The camera on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus got a major upgrade. The iPhone 7 has a 7MP front facing FaceTime HD camera and a 12MP rear camera with Quad-LED True Tone flash and Optical Image Stabilisation. The iPhone 7 Plus has the same front camera but the back comes has dual wide angle and telephoto lenses and 2X optical zoom and 10X digital zoom.
- Performance: The new A10 fusion chip is quad core with two performance cores and 2 efficient cores. The speed is twice as fast and graphics is thrice as fast. The better chips lead to better battery with upto 2 hours of extra talk time.
- Audio: Apple has completely revamped audio on the iPhone 7. The 3.5mm standard headphone jack is removed, as expected. The EarPods connect to the Lightening port and Apple is also giving a 3.5mm jack to lightening port connector in the box. The phone also comes with stereo speakers and are twice as loud as the iPhone 6S.
- EarPods: Apple has also launched wireless earphones called AirPods. They come with an inbuilt W1 chip and are touch sensitive – double tap and Siri is at your service. They offer upto 5 hours of audio on one charge and come with a charging case. The charging case can provide a charge of upto 24 hours.
- Storage: The base model comes with 32GB while the other variants come with 128GB and 256GB. The Jet Black model is only available in 128GB and 256GB iPhone variants. This is a good move as 16GB was too less for any phone to have as inbuilt memory.
- iOS 10: The phone will ship with iOS 10 out of the box. iOS 10 is the most advanced iOS yet with completely redesigned notifications and widgets, new features in iMessage, redesigned Apple Music, a more useful Siri, and many more features.
- Mario: After the success of Pokemon Go, Nintendo is bringing Mario to the iPhone. Here comes another productivity killer for you.
- Networks: Apple comes with 25 LTE banks and can answer WhatsApp and other calls directly.
- Apple Watch Series 2: Apple also launched the 2nd generation Apple Watch. Dubbed the Series 2, the design remains the same, while the internals have changed. There’s GPS and a faster chip, and the watch is now more water resistant. Apple has launched a ceramic white color Apple Watch as well.
Now that you know all the details. Have you made up your mind? iPhone 7 or not?